[T3] Corn Fuel and Type III engines

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Oct 3 08:02:01 PDT 2012

On 3 Oct 2012 at 9:20, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> Here in Michigan, it's very hard to find fuel without ethanol in it. And
> it's been that way for over 20 years now. About the only things I do know
> that  are a direct result of it are; slightly lower mpg, and the need to
> replace the  German fuel hose with the American style hose. Other than that, there
> really  aren't any issues with it. It is harder on rubber bits though.

The lower gas mileage is true, but in most cases the difference is so
small that you'll not notice it. I think ethanol has about 10% less
energy content than gasoline and since gasohol is usually only about
10% ethanol, the overall energy loss is only about 1%. For our cars,
that would mean a decrease of 0.2 - 0.3 mi/gal. I keep a log of every
tankful, but I don't think I would ever notice that difference.

I've been using American style hose for more than 40 years anyway, so
I haven't been able to contribute to the discussions on declining
european hose quality, which may be true in general. My impression,
however, is that 10% ethanol isn't too hard on most rubber compounds,
but methanol is.

I haven't heard of methanol being used in gasohol to any great extent
in this country. Is it in common use anywhere?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org