[T3] Flickering Oil Light

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Oct 3 20:48:39 PDT 2012

On 3 Oct 2012 at 23:26, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/3/2012 11:21:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> jadney at vwtype3.org writes:
>
> > ---  Another correction. The engine in my '71 was a '72 engine...which
> > I  put in way back when I changed the '71 from automatic to standard
> >  shift.  Of course, compatible "brain" was installed at the time.
>
> So you have a '72 brain in there with the '72 FI wiring harness. If
> so, and if you still have access to the donor '73 car, I'd advise
> swapping in the '73 brain.

> I think the way he wrote it is wrong Jim. He's actually got the 73 engine
> set up as a 71, just like the 72 engine he previously had in the car was set
> up  (also as a 71). The engine year was incorrect for the car, but the FI
> was  correct for the car.

Well, something's wrong here. If it's the '71 brain and FI wiring
harness, then it has a 4 pin connector at the TVS, but the '72 and
'73 engines have 5-pin TVSs. If that's the case, he should swap in
the '71 4-pin TVS.

Whatever he has needs to be consistent. Mixing randomly is likely to
give random results, most of which will be undesirable.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org