[T3] E10

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Oct 6 09:18:46 PDT 2012

On 6 Oct 2012 at 11:21, Dave Hall wrote:

> I'm told diesel is a good treatment before laying up an engine - a spoonful
> in each carb throat as the engine is running at medium rpm and it coats the
> valve area and  muffler internally with oily residue to reduce corrosion.
> Smokes as you do it though.  I suppose it works like a upper cylinder
> lubricant.

This was supposed to be a standard treatment to burn carbon out of a
cylinder. I don't know why it was supposed to work, but I did it with
a friend once. We had to keep the engine running at a medium high
speed, and the catch was that if you let the engine die, it would not
restart, because the plugs would be fouled. It created a LOT of
smoke.

I have no idea if it actually did any good, but the smoke probably
had a lot of oil in it, and that might have coated the exhaust like
you say.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org