[T3] Stopping Squeaks

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 17:05:19 PDT 2012

I had a squeak on the Fastback and it was a split in the rear seat bulkhead.

A 'clink' in the Variant was a slightly loose hub-cap, which stopped when I
turned it a bit and it stopped flexing as the wheel rotated.

Don't put oil products on rubber.  If it's the rubber donuts on the spring
plates, VW advise talcum powder, but I guess silicone sprays may be OK on
rubber.

Do you remember the VW advert - car (Rabbit) driving across desert,
squeaking noise.  Driver keeps pressing bits of the trim to try to spot the
culorit.  Pulls in at gas station, and mechanic with oil-can in hand listens
to the noise, and then he holds the passenger's ear-ring, and the squeak
stops.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club