[T3] Fuel pump frenzy

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Tue Oct 23 20:00:42 PDT 2012

Ahhh, a relaxing retirement  :-)

Keith

Top Notch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com
71 Squareback "Hothe"
65 Notchback "El Baja Rojo"
65 Squareback "Eggcrate"
87 golf "Winterat"
93 RX7 "Redstur"

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org
[mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org] On Behalf Of Jim Adney
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:49 PM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: [T3] Fuel pump frenzy

Over a recent 10 day period, I had people send me 4 different FI fuel
pumps for rebuilds. I've never had so many in such a short time, and
I continue to be surprised by how many people need this service. I
can't remember how long ago I started doing this, but I had a shop
make me ~45 of the brass caps I use for those rebuilds. At the time,
I thought this was a huge number, a lifetime supply, but now I'm
almost out.

I've ordered more.

I just printed out more price lists, made more overflow hose kits,
and made another batch of fuel primer switches, too. Given how
important the overflow hose replacements are, I'm always surprised by
how many people DON'T have them installed yet. They are very
important and very cheap preventative maintenance.

Right now, I'm out of town for about 3 weeks, on our annual trek to
visit our daughter in Tucson, as well as friends on the way there and
back. If any of you live in Tucson, let me know. We might be able to
get together.

So far the diesel Jetta is getting 41.6 mi/gal into a strong
headwind. Not bad, considering the headwind.

I guess it's obvious that the next 3 weeks would not be a good time
to send me parts for repair, but I should have email access most of
the time and can try to answer questions.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org