[T3] Rubber Boots for Type 3

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Oct 25 18:16:20 PDT 2012

On 25 Oct 2012 at 16:16, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> How many different types/styles/shapes/sizes of rubber boots were used
> on Type 3's?

Many, many, many.

> I've got two OE rubber boots in hand.
>
> 1)  (marked 311 906 101A) is about (O.D.) 2-3/4" long X 7/8" diameter
> with two small "tabs" at the big 3/4" opening that has 4 "gripping
> ribs" on the tabs.  I don't know where it belongs on the wiring
> harness.

Sounds like the ones used up to about '71 for the brake light
switches on the master cylinder, although the one for the FI electric
fuel pump is similar.

> 2)  (unmarked) is more cylindrical -- 2-1/8" long X 5/8".  I believe
> this one fits on the underside of the back up lights and goes over
> stem where the light mounts onto the rear bumper.  The
> single-wire/spade connector exits from the bulb socket and goes into
> the small end of the boot.

> Steele Rubber Products https://secure.steelerubber.com/ has many
> American Auto brand parts, but nothing for Volkswagen.

Most of those "non-essential" boots have not been replicated. I'm
thinking about the ones where the heater, clutch and throttle cables
exit.

> Does anyone have a source for "all things rubber"?

There's probably no single source, and for most of these, there will
be no source for these at all, other than relatively good (and
scarce) used parts.

Where are you these days, Gary? Wisconsin or on your way to Texas?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org