[T3] Tires

Max Welton max_welton_2k at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 17:24:46 PDT 2012

--- On Tue, 10/30/12, Keith Park <topnotch at nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> What do the wider tires do to gas
> mileage?  Assuming you get a tire of the
> same diameter isn't the rolling resistance of a wide tire
> much greater?
> 85% of the Squareback's driving is on the highway so I
> really don't want to
> lessen the gas mileage anymore than the E10 already has.
>
> Keith

Yeah, I've read that too. I've never run 165s on this car so I couldn't really say. I do keep good track of my mpg and the sliding 5-tank average hovers around 31 in commute driving. A little better in steady over-the-road driving.

The 205x65/15 has a circumference nearly identical to a 165x80/15 so the odometer and transmission gearing all work as they should. When I have the 195s on the car, I deweight the distance traveled by .9838.

Max Welton
http://www.maxwelton2k.net/