[T3] type3-vwtype3.org Digest, Vol 25, Issue 38

J L Stamey jlstamey at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 09:07:01 PDT 2012

"We have come across a couple stations that are selling B10 or B20,
which is a mix of BioDiesel. Our 2011 Jetta forbids anything more
than B5. Anyone know why?"

Jim, I think it's b/c bio-D is so unregulated right now and can possibly
damage the HPFP (high pres fuel pump), found this text on tdiclub.com, a
GREAT site for all TDI info.....

Modern clean diesel can run biodiesel, but only in small amounts. B5 (5%
biodiesel, 95% diesel) is the most you can run without damaging fuel and
emission system. Hence, VW doesn't warrant anything if you run more than
that. Certain modern diesels are capable of running B20 (20% biodiesel, 80%
diesel). If you'd like to run higher amounts of biodiesel, the older
diesels cars with mechanical injection is the best because they're
generally stronger and will have no problem running B100 or SVO (straight
vegetable oil). Higher percentage of biodiesel will require a heater on the
fuel lines to keep it from solidifying and people who runs on B100 usually
have a small tank of normal diesel since you'll need to run the motor hot
enough before switching over.

Keep in mind there is regulation on diesel fuel, but there is no strict
official regulation in biodiesel in the US yet.

I am now driving my 4th TDI as my daily... it's sad actually, I can no
longer drive anything that does not get at least 40+ mpg!! I avg about
43-44 in my A5 Jetta sedan, mostly hwy.