[T3] Generator ... Again

Max Welton max_welton_2k at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 3 07:12:39 PDT 2012

Well, here I go again. On my way home from work yesterday in the 68, the charge light came one. It flickered lightly at first, then came on more insistently. It still isn't fully "on", but she isn't charging. I happened to be logging engine data (Megasquirt) and was able to see the main buss voltage go from its usual 13.6 to ~12 volts. I had no problem driving home on the battery (about 40 minutes).

This generator was a re-manufactured Bosch unit I put in last November. At the time, I also replaced the VR with one of the new solid-state units. Buss voltage has been very consistent up to yesterday.

The way the light is behaving makes me think that the brushes may have worn down so that will be what I look at first.

So 10 months is a pretty short service life for brushes, even in a reman generator. It has me thinking about alternatives. Maybe alternator alternatives.

Max