[T3] Generator ... Again

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Mon Sep 3 07:38:53 PDT 2012

Well, there is something wrong, its not the generator design problem.  The
new regulators will throw a light differently than the old units did, they
are less "Forgiving".  Full field the generator at idle for a few seconds
and see if it comes alive, if it does then it's the regulator.  A lot of
things can wear down the brushes prematurely, but remember, its 2012, you
cant trust ANY reman, anywhere... they are done in Mexico I believe.

Try rebuilding it yourself, or send it to Jim better yet, he can "Growl" the
armature and see if there is an issue there.  A good generator, with all my
electrical gizmo's, trailer lights etc lasts me 40-60Kmi, and even then, all
it needs is new brushes.  I have 2 that I swap in and out and after 25 years
of doing that this is the first year one has died and needed more than
brushes, the commutator was very worn but even then Jim brought that
armature back to life.

Keith

Top Notch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com