[T3] Crate's engine apart, mostly...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Sep 3 10:34:36 PDT 2012

On 3 Sep 2012 at 10:32, BobNotch wrote:

> Keep in mind that our pistons install from the bottom of the cylinder.
> ;-)

Yes, the usual reason for using a ridge reamer is to get rid of the
ridge so you can pull the pistons out the top of the block without
damaging them. However, there's still good reason to get rid of the
ridge on our cylinders, because you don't want the new rings to run
into them at TDC. That's another way to break rings and ring lands.

BTW, I broke a top piston ring on my first engine rebuild. It was
broken into even halves, so I just installed it that way. Years
later, when I took that engine apart again, I found those halves were
both extremely worn at each end. It's clear that the ring needs to be
full circle to wear evenly. If you look at your broken ring, you
should expect to see the same thing, unless it was not broken into
even halves, or if it had only broken recently.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org