[T3] Crate engine, Verdict!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Sep 3 22:42:09 PDT 2012

On 3 Sep 2012 at 21:37, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> You'll need an early pump, as they used 6mm studs.

According to Berg, you can use the 8 mm pumps over 6 mm studs. I'm
under the impression that 6 mm pumps are NLA.

> I think the stock size gears were 21 mm, but  the next size up is 23
> mm, followed by 26 mm. I think the 23 is a good size  though, as it
> offers clearance behind the fan (remember, this style of pump has  a
> flanged (lipped) face on it, not a flat style like the later pumps).

I don't remember ever hearing about a 23 mm pump. I think the flat
cam pumps were 21 and the dished cam pumps were 26. You can get
aftermarket flat cam pumps that are 25 mm. I'm pretty sure that there
was an even smaller/earlier pump, but I don't know if it ever got
used in Type 3s.

Dished vs. flat: Your'e talking about the cover, right? The OE covers
were all dished (had a lip.) The aftermarket covers are flat. Both
work, but I always felt that the dished ones must be stiffer around
the edges where it was important to seal. I reground them on a
surface grinder and reused them.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org