[T3] Crate engine, Verdict!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Sep 4 15:10:43 PDT 2012

On 4 Sep 2012 at 16:14, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> As far as I know, the 6mm stud oil pumps ARE still available from  Shadek.
> The 21 mm pump was standard. The 23 mm pump was the first extended  size
> offered. The 26 mm pump is the largest you can get in a t-3, before you  have
> to start clearancing the back of the fan shroud. There were 30 mm pumps
> offered too, but most of them are cast iron, and made by Melling (or are a copy
> of the Melling pump). These require some clearancing of the shroud to use,
> along  with longer studs. These are all 3 rivet "flat" cams that I'm
> mentioning. I  don't have anything that uses a "dished" cam here. ;-)

Okay, I'll have to take your word for the fact that 6 mm pumps can
still be had. Berg may have meant that he could no longer get them
from HIS supplier.

As for the 23 mm pumps, I've never heard of them, but maybe they
exist. I think if you measure the next longer size you'll find that
they are 25 mm and that 26 mm was only the OE size for the dished
cam. I've used lots of the flat cam 25 mm pumps. I use them with OE
lipped covers or with Berg full flow covers and they just barely
clear the fan housing.

> Yes, I was talking about the cover. On the 6 mm stud pumps, the cover lips
> are 13mm long. :O

Is that longer than the lips on the OE 8 mm pump covers? I've never
worked on an engine with the 6 mm pump studs. I'd have to measure a
late cover. They are about that long, but might be a bit shorter. On
the late lipped covers the lip edge is pretty irregular and ragged.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org