[T3] Crate engine, Verdict!

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue Sep 4 13:14:55 PDT 2012

In a message dated 9/4/2012 1:42:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

On 3 Sep  2012 at 21:37, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> You'll need an early pump,  as they used 6mm studs.

According to Berg, you can use the 8 mm pumps  over 6 mm studs. I'm
under the impression that 6 mm pumps are  NLA.

> I think the stock size gears were 21 mm, but  the next  size up is 23
> mm, followed by 26 mm. I think the 23 is a good  size  though, as it
> offers clearance behind the fan (remember,  this style of pump has  a
> flanged (lipped) face on it, not a flat  style like the later pumps).

I don't remember ever hearing about  a 23 mm pump. I think the flat
cam pumps were 21 and the dished cam pumps  were 26. You can get
aftermarket flat cam pumps that are 25 mm. I'm pretty  sure that there
was an even smaller/earlier pump, but I don't know if it  ever got
used in Type 3s.

Dished vs. flat: Your'e talking about the  cover, right? The OE covers
were all dished (had a lip.) The aftermarket  covers are flat. Both
work, but I always felt that the dished ones must be  stiffer around
the edges where it was important to seal. I reground them  on a
surface grinder and reused them.

As far as I know, the 6mm stud oil pumps ARE still available from  Shadek.
The 21 mm pump was standard. The 23 mm pump was the first extended  size
offered. The 26 mm pump is the largest you can get in a t-3, before you  have
to start clearancing the back of the fan shroud. There were 30 mm pumps
offered too, but most of them are cast iron, and made by Melling (or are a copy
of the Melling pump). These require some clearancing of the shroud to use,
along  with longer studs. These are all 3 rivet "flat" cams that I'm
mentioning. I  don't have anything that uses a "dished" cam here. ;-)

Yes, I was talking about the cover. On the 6 mm stud pumps, the cover lips
are 13mm long. :O

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)