[T3] Mahle 1500 pistons

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Fri Sep 7 17:37:08 PDT 2012

Ok, I took out the white gloves and opened my NOS 1961 VW official service
manual.  Looks like there were 9 different sizes available, the standard had
3 sizes, 82.95mm, 83mm, 83.05mm  then there were the .5mm oversize that cam
in 3 incriments too and the 1mm oversize and again, 3 incriments.  The
incriments were color coded.

Looks like I have the smallest pistons, the 82.95mm blue code.
They are stamped on the crown, SP 0,05mm and I don't know what that means
but I inserted them in the barrels and they are the same size as the
original domies, or damn close, certainly not .05mm different

I don't have a 3-4inch mic so I had to use feeler gauges, not the best
method but I think it sufficed.

Im sending other stuff to RIMCO so I threw the cylinders in there too...
they are slightly scored from the lack of oil incident so Im going to have
them look them over, ridge ream them and maybe do a light honing depending
on what they find when the get in there with a bore gauge and check out of
round etc... things I don't have the tools to do.  Hopefully I can re-use
them with the pistons I have, they are not badly worn.

Thanks

Keith

Top Notch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com