[T3] Stuck wheel cylinders...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Sep 14 09:23:22 PDT 2012

On 14 Sep 2012 at 9:26, ftalker at gmail.com wrote:

> I thought I addressed this a couple weeks ago.  Replace the bleeder valve with a suitable zerk, (the 356 Porsches are 10mmX1.00 pitch...I cannot believe ATe made many different sizes here, but check), and then use a good, manual grease gun to expand and free the parts.  Do this in a heavy, clear plastic bag to prevent the parts from leaving town...and wear safety glasses.
> The cups are 19mm I believe, and because 3/4" cups work, they are OTC at most FLAPS, as are outside rubber dirt sleeves.  You can, (and should), reuse the metal parts.
> Hone the cylinders, check for serious pittting/scratching and then reassemble with Permatex Disc Brake Caliper Lube.  Case closed.

Yes, you did mention this method a few weeks ago. It's probably a
good choice for Dennis. M10 x 1 would be the inlet ports; the bleed
valves are M6 x 1.

Our MCs have 3/4" bores, but the rear cylinders are 7/8" in all the
later years. Both are actual inch dimensions, although the disk
calipers are metric.

I'll have to look into the Permatex lube. I'm not familiar with that
and I'm always looking for better products as brake lubes. This is a
non-petroleum product, right? What does it look and feel like?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org