[T3] New video

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Fri Sep 14 16:16:37 PDT 2012

>You're gettin' close, Dennis, and it's lookin' good. I noticed a couple
more things in this video.

>Enginewise, you're missing the black plastic cap that goes in the center of
the pulley, and the bolt under there looks like it's one that came with an
A/C kit. Those probably aren't really a big deal, but you're also >missing
the "handle" that should stick out the back of the fan housing, that bolts
the housing to the breather stand.
>That one's important, just because it's the most robust connection holding
the fan housing in place.

Ok I thought They just removed it for the AC set up but if it's that
important I can probably fabricate one to go there.

>Both feed lines to the master cyl should lay against the "firewall", to
make sure they stay out of the way of the tie rods, over their full range of
motion (U/D, L/R.) The front line looks good, but the rear one faces
>forward before it runs back to the rear. Those can turn out to be important
little details.

OK I figured we needed to work on that because they do look a little close
to the tie rod.

>On the body, there's a bracket under the LF fender for the gas tank
overflow tank. That bracket and tank will just collect dirt and water there
and cause rust, and the rest of the piping has long ago plugged with rust,
>so that system probably no longer works.

>I think you bought the overflow hose and vent kits from me some time ago.
The vent kit makes that bracket superfluous, so I'd grind it off and paint
it over, to seal it.

Yes I did get one but I was going to wait till after we get the gas tank
back on before we install your kit. But that should be soon.

>Finally, there are a lot of places where they didn't put any color coat.
There really needs to be something there other than just primer, unless this
is a primer that seals and won't rust thru. Most don't do that. Bob, >and
your body shop, may know better than me about this.

I'm not a body guy but our instructor told me that the primer he used is an
epoxy primer that is supposed to seal from rust. He told me to put under
coat on those places.

>When the fenders get back, I'd also like to see them painted inside and
out. The inside doesn't have to be pretty.

>After all the work you and your students put into this, it would be a shame
to let those areas rust again right away.

>Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org
>Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Yes we have worked hard and there is a lot more to do. I think I need to
give you and other on this list credit on this effort too. Thanks!

Dennis