[T3] Generator ... Again

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 20 15:30:41 PDT 2012

On 20 Sep 2012 at 14:52, Adriel Rowley wrote:

> Adney, good point about a good mechanic doing it. Why would it have to
> be replaced?
>
> Are you saying the black plastic with the terminals can be changed? If
> so, why then would someone change the wiring instead of the former?

No, the black plastic connector is part of the generator. All E
suffix generators have that black plastic connector. It started with
the introduction of 12 V in the '67 cars and continued up to VIN 3x8
191 404. I knew I'd seen the VIN info somewhere, but I just found it,
in the Bentley.

> The Squareback is on its forth or fifth engine. First one went around
> 50,000 miles. So, wonder if that have something to do with it.

The OE generator could have been replaced at any time with an earlier
one, or it could have come with one of the replacement engines. At
this point it's impossible to know for sure. 50 k is awfully short
mileage, especially for a '71. Was it abused?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org