[T3] Mystery Wires

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Sep 21 08:54:56 PDT 2012

On 21 Sep 2012 at 8:29, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> Yes, this sounds right. But, if you leave the cold start off, I think you
> still need that wire attached to the starter (use the terminal that only has
>  power when the starter is activated). I think this is mainly so the ECU
> knows  that the car is being started. Or you could hook up the CS part of the
> system  too (until you find it flooding the engine), and just leave the fuel
> hose  off the CS valve (plugged of course). ;-)

You don't need to connect wire 18. If you attach it, you will get a
small amount of mixture enrichment while starting, but this is seldom
necessary.

> Keep in mind that  the 68 and 69 version came without the CS, but it
> could be added as a package  from the dealer.

It wasn't a dealer installation, The '68-9 CS system came that way
from the factory on some cars. It requires a completely different FI
wiring harness and some extra parts, one of which would be REALLY
hard to install with the engine in the car. I've never been able to
figure out who got it or why. My '68 was bought in Indiana and didn't
have it. I've worked on lots of '68-9s from Wisconsin and Minnesota
and never came across one with the CS system. All I've ever seen are
bits and pieces.

Maybe North Dakota cars got it, or maybe each dealer could specify
whether they wanted their cars with it. I've never seen anything that
spelled this out. All I can find is that it's M 229.

M 229 COLD START EQUIPMENT SET
      F  318 000 001-- 319 500 000		M236:
                                           		             311-314,
                                              	        	361-364;
                                                        		M236/
                                                        		M234/
                                                        		M250:
                                                        		315-318

Just one more thing that we wish we could ask Russ about....

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org