[T3] Problem starting / warming up

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 27 05:58:27 PDT 2012

On 27 Sep 2012 at 12:44, Dave Hall wrote:

> Most likely Jim has the answer, but have a look in the distributor and check
> that the wire from the points isn't broken.  I had this happen in a Beetle
> and the revs rose than cut out until slowing, and then rose again.  It
> seemed possessed, revving and dropping back all on its own!  It turned out
> to be a broken baseplate ground wire which was making contact when the
> distributor baseplate was in its rest position, then breaking contact as the
> distributor advance kicked in.  I can't believe it's ever happened to anyone
> else, but I know it is just possible, having experienced it!

I've seen that happen in other cars, but it won't happen in our FI
cars, because the vac adv doesn't move until the car gets up to speed
on the highway. It won't do anything at idle or while standing in the
driveway.

Exception: cars with vacuum adv/retard ('72 FI and european '71 dual
carb.) On those cars the retard is active at idle.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org