[T3] Problem starting & Warming up

miah miah_w at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 04:59:05 PDT 2012

Hey T3's,
In these last two weeks I've been having the exact same issue with my '71 Square (FI)
That Josh has had with his ’70 Fastback… It's been driving me cRaZy!

I Changed Distributor Cap/Rotor/Condenser/Points/Plugs/Wires
New Temp Sensor
I Adjusted the Valves
Checked the Timing and Idle (900)
Checked for any Vacuum Leak (none)
Cleaned Throttle Body
Cleaned MPS and Connections
Checked Connection to Cold Start Valve (as well as every other connection)
Changed Fuel Filter

However I hear the same thing that Josh does with the Relay Clicking under the dash?!
One of them being the Relay for my Brake Lights (not during start but later)
Early morning Start is like waking a teenager for school...

Are any of you familiar to these issues?
Thanks!
VWVegan
(Ellensburg, Washington)
Dear type3ers,
My '70 fastback has recently begun behaving as follows (in Mountain View, CA):
It turns over and fires up, revs to idle speed, then abruptly stops firing,
the engine speed free-falls by maybe 25%,
then it starts firing again. The process repeats for several
minutes--idling up, free falling down ...
The engine sounds normal on the upswing. The free-fall sounds just
like it does after cutting-off the ignition.
If I depress the accelerator, the engine revs faster but free falls
just the same.
After a couple of minutes, depressing the accelerator will rev to a
higher RPM than at initial start-up, but still the same free-fall.
Eventually, it resolves, I assume because the engine has warmed up.
During the idle-up/free-fall cycle, I possibly hear the sound of a
relay switching on/off under the dash. It's also possible the the
battery voltage is a bit low.
Any ideas what the cause may be?
Thanks,
Josh