[T3] Generator ... again

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 27 22:19:45 PDT 2012

On 27 Sep 2012 at 13:24, rheorojo at F wrote:

> I just replaced my brushes using Bosch 1-107-014-140.Purchased at the
> local parts + store. Ramp/notch cut with high side to the spring. The
> old ones had the ramp with the high side to the pig tail, and were
> worn at an angle and not square to the sides.

Also known as 11-008, that's the one that Bosch says is correct for
Beetles, but I say is the right one for us (and wrong for Beetles.)
Make sure the spring is pressing down on the ramp and not on the
corner at the top of the ramp. If it just touches the corner, the
brush may stick and you'll have to push it down. This will only
happen when the brush is new and full length.

> I now have 13.9 to 14.0 volts at idle and a constant 14.1 while
> driving. I hope/expect the voltage to creep up as the brushes wear to
> fit the radius of the commutator. This is measured at the battery
> terminals to the digital volt meter mounted in the car.

The voltage probably won't increase because that's controlled by the
voltage regulator. Your 14.1 V is actually quite good, and lower
voltage at idle is normal because the generator can't put out any
more at that speed.

> It's nice to get the car back out on the road.

;-)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org