[T3] valve guides

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 27 22:19:46 PDT 2012

On 27 Sep 2012 at 22:52, Keith Park wrote:

> Whats the best way to remove the guides in the heads?  I need to install new
> guides in the Crates heads and I hate to send them cross country just for
> that,  especially since I already have the new ones.

Working from the rocker side, tap them 3/8-16, 3/4" deep. Then screw
in a hard bolt, like a good Allen. Then, working from the chamber
side, use a punch against the end of the bolt to drive the guides
out. If you can warm the heads a bit, this may make it easier.

DO NOT drive against the face of the guide, as this will cause it to
swell up and broach the hole oversize. Pushing against the bolt, at
the far end of the guide will actually stretch it slightly, if
anything, and will extract the guide without harming the head.

I use an air hammer with a driver made for this purpose. I also made
a sort of tube that seats around the spring boss, to support it while
driving out the guide.

You will need a valve job after replacing the guides, because you can
never count on the bores to be perfectly concentric.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org