[T3] valve guides

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Fri Sep 28 17:58:13 PDT 2012

Ok, this sounds like a good idea.  How do I drive them back in without
mushrooming them?

I plan on replacing the valves themselves, will I have any problems with
them lining up correctly when I lap them in or will I have to have the seats
ground to the new guides??

Thanks

Keith

I use an air hammer with a driver made for this purpose. I also made
a sort of tube that seats around the spring boss, to support it while
driving out the guide.

You will need a valve job after replacing the guides, because you can
never count on the bores to be perfectly concentric.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org