[T3] valve guides

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Sep 28 20:06:41 PDT 2012

On 28 Sep 2012 at 20:58, Keith Park wrote:

> Ok, this sounds like a good idea.  How do I drive them back in without
> mushrooming them?

The best thing to do is to warm up the head, lube the bore and the
guide, and drive the new guide in quickly with a piloted drift.
Again, I use an air hammer to do this. Get it started straight or the
guide will bend, but imperceptably so. A bent guide shows up as
feeling "different" when you try to ream it.

> I plan on replacing the valves themselves, will I have any problems with
> them lining up correctly when I lap them in or will I have to have the seats
> ground to the new guides??

I've always gotten the seats touched up after doing this, but you
could try just lapping them and see how they line up. You should
usually ream the 8 mm bore first, just to make sure it has the
correct dia.

It's worthwhile making friends with a local machine shop. They
actually know what they're doing and will generally do a good job if
they know you and you manage to stay on the right side of them. I've
got a good crew here, and they've got a terrific valve & head setup.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org