[T3] Generator ... again

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Sep 28 20:06:41 PDT 2012

On 28 Sep 2012 at 12:39, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> Since I didn't get a response about my question about the "ramp",

I had hoped that Dave's photos would have cleared it up for you.

> But now I assume the "ramp" is on the end of the brush, furthest AWAY
> from the commentator.

Yes, the ramp is where the brush spring pushes against the backside
of the brush.

> I now believe the "ramp", that everyone keeps talking about is:
> The angled portion in the center of the top of the brush, where the
> spring pushes the brush down on the commutator and is the where the
> spring is supposed to seat.

Yes.

> That "ramp" is AWAY from the anchor point of the brush spring.

Not sure what you mean here.

> The orientation (correct or incorrect direction which the brush faces)
> is determined by the "pigtail wire" and how it fits into the slot of
> the brush holder.

The pigtail is always installed on the opposite side from the spring.
The question is which way the ramp slopes: toward the pigtail, or
toward the spring.

For Type 3s, I believe the ramp should slope down on the pigtail side
of the brush.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org