[T3] Engine bolted in good news bad news

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sat Sep 29 08:33:21 PDT 2012

Well, this is one of the reasons I keep a couple of cut-apart injectors
around. There are 2 O-rings inside each one: One seals 8 mm tip, and the
other seals the rear part, although that O-ring is closer to the downstream
part of the large part of the injector body.

If the front O-ring leaks, it will only be a small leak, the front mounting
ring may actually seal it off, and any remaining leakage will go inside the
intake manifold and get burned. Leaks here don't seem to be a problem.

If the rear O-ring leaks, the gas will come out between the metal and
plastic parts of the body. Those leaks will sometimes seal back up if the
O-ring swells a bit.

If you've got gas coming out thru the electrical connector, but not between
the metal and plastic, then this is a different problem. It must be a
cracked plastic part, probably the inner bobbin that the injector solenoid
is wound around. There's probably no cure for that.

The only one I'd ever seen like that sprayed like a squirt gun. If I'd had
my head in the wrong place, it would have gotten me in the eye!

I'm thinking your leaks are fatal, but it's still worth keeping them wet for
a few days, just in case I'm wrong.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

Well it's got the week end to soak.  Like I said they soaked for 2 years in
kerosene but who knows.  Even if they did stop I don't know if I could trust
these injectors again.  That was kind of scary having that much gas dumped
on top of the heads.  Good thing it done it right off the bat.  It would
have been bad if it had waited till it got up to operating  temperature.
The engine did sound good the 15 seconds it ran other than the timing
sounded a little slow.

Dennis