[T3] Engine bolted in good news bad news

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Sep 28 20:06:40 PDT 2012

On 28 Sep 2012 at 11:49, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> Here is what one of them look like when fuel pressure is put on them
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8E6OauzhYQ&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_m
> ode=1&safe=active

Well, this is one of the reasons I keep a couple of cut-apart
injectors around. There are 2 O-rings inside each one: One seals 8 mm
tip, and the other seals the rear part, although that O-ring is
closer to the downstream part of the large part of the injector body.

If the front O-ring leaks, it will only be a small leak, the front
mounting ring may actually seal it off, and any remaining leakage
will go inside the intake manifold and get burned. Leaks here don't
seem to be a problem.

If the rear O-ring leaks, the gas will come out between the metal and
plastic parts of the body. Those leaks will sometimes seal back up if
the O-ring swells a bit.

If you've got gas coming out thru the electrical connector, but not
between the metal and plastic, then this is a different problem. It
must be a cracked plastic part, probably the inner bobbin that the
injector solenoid is wound around. There's probably no cure for that.

The only one I'd ever seen like that sprayed like a squirt gun. If
I'd had my head in the wrong place, it would have gotten me in the
eye!

I'm thinking your leaks are fatal, but it's still worth keeping them
wet for a few days, just in case I'm wrong.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org