[T3] Difficulty Starting & White Wire

miah miah_w at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 30 06:04:52 PDT 2012

Difficulty Starting
71
Squareback (Stock 1600 FI)
When it’s
cold I must keep the ignition engaged for an extended amount of time in order to
start.

It was
fine until I began a simple tune up that led into replacing quite a bit as well
as re-caped old wires. This last two weeks I’ve been all over this car, I retraced my steps (for a 3rd time) in order to track down what I
missed or caused that’s making the ignition so difficult.

My gut tells me:
The Points (Gapped at .016in)
I feel
like this is a stupid question* at what point of rotation on the distributor do
I set the points… just any High Point during the revolution?
I’m getting another set
of points today because my new set now have a burnt pit on them… this time I
will gently clean off the points before hand.

The
only other questionable thing I did was:

I found
a random White Wire hanging from under the right side of the intake near the
fire wall… for some reason I decided that it was a ground wire… so I connected
it to a ground tab.

To this
day I have no idea what the wire was, Any Ideas?

VWVEGAN