[T3] Generator ... again

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Sep 30 06:31:16 PDT 2012

In a message dated 9/30/2012 9:08:57 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

In my  opinion, most alternator conversions are done for the "street
cred" as  Dave once put it. There's little real advantage and it's a
whole lot of  trouble and expense involved. Generators give very
little trouble, but,  yes, it does take a sound understanding of
electricity to sort out  problems with them.

I wouldn't totally buy that today. I only say that, as there are so  many
poorly rebuilt generators are out there (even from bigger suppliers). Plus,
the alternator does give a nice regulated 12 volts, even at lower rpms. Add
in  that you can get one at almost any auto parts place in the country, and
I  can see why so many are switching. That said, I do agree that generators
give very little trouble during their lifetime, but getting a good rebuild
is  getting harder these days. Add in that the t-3 uses it's own generator
versus  the bug unit being available for use on a bug, bus, thing, and t-1
based ghia's,  it's more commonly found.

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)