[T3] 1971 Fastback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Apr 1 21:58:20 PDT 2013

On 1 Apr 2013 at 15:13, Art Sterrett wrote:

> After checking everything per the Bentley Manual I have decided the
> starter in my Fastback has failed.  I am not sure if Jim rebuilds the
> starters or not, I do not remember seeing them on the price list.  I
> have found that you can buy new Bosch starters, Re manufactured Bosch
> starters, and brand x.  There is only $12 difference between new and
> re manufactured.

I can rebuild both starters and generators, but for most people the
shipping cost is a deal breaker. I hadn't thought to include them in
my price list because I don't have a flat rate for it and I so seldom
do them. I'm certainly willing to do this if you want me to.

The first thing to do would be to make SURE that the problem is in
the starter, rather than in the ignition switch or the neutral safety
switch, as those are both common trouble spots. Tell us your symptoms
and what you've done to narrow the problem down to the starter.

More replacement starters come with a new bushing that should be
installed in the transmission. That requires a special tool to get
the old one out. The starter warrantee usually requires that the new
bushing be installed.

There's no harm in looking locally for a good automotive electric
repair shop. Like others have said, there should be someone good near
you. The nice thing about starters, unlike generators, is that all
(well, most) cars still have them, so it should not be hard to find
someone close who can help you.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org