[T3] CV joints on a 68 swing axle

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Apr 4 09:13:08 PDT 2013

On 4 Apr 2013 at 9:27, J L Stamey wrote:

> I guess I'll also pull the wheels off and look into anything loose in the
> drum area. How hard is it to replace axle bearing if that is my possible
> issue?

It's quite often very hard to get those swing axle bearings out
without destroying them. So I'd leave them alone unless they are
clearly bad. You can inspect them by taking off the rear axle flange
and then the bearing cover.

One more thing that can cause some noise back there would be if the
large axle nut isn't fully tightened. It's a biggie: 220 ft-lbs.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org