[T3] no fuel spray at injectors

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Apr 15 14:08:01 PDT 2013

On 15 Apr 2013 at 9:16, Ken Main Mail wrote:

> I have a  FI 71 T3 1775 cc automatic, freshly rebuilt engine zero miles. The
> second rebuild.  IT WON'T START..  My former mechanic, well let's not go
> there, knows nothing on FI.  I have  the car home since September.

Do these tests in this order until you get to the one that fails.

Turn the key ON. You should hear a relay click and then a second
click about 1 second later.

Turn the key ON and go to the engine. Press the throttle down while
you listen. You should hear a series of injector clicks as the
throttle opens but not as it closes.

Loosen the distributor clamp and pull the distributor up about 1 cm.
Remove the dist cap. Disconnect the green wire from the coil. Turn
the key ON. As you rotate the dist rotor, round and round CW, you
should hear injectors click about every half turn.

Let us know what you find.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org