[T3] 72 Air cleaner to body

Soren Jacobsen snj at pobox.com
Thu Apr 18 06:59:46 PDT 2013

On Apr 16, 2013, at 4:03 PM, "Jim Adney" <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

> On 16 Apr 2013 at 14:37, Soren Jacobsen wrote:
>
>> Another option is to get a set (or just one) of the stock quick
>> release clamps. They make air cleaner removal easy but still let you
>> keep a clamp on both sides. I haven't been able to figure out when
>> they were used originally, but they come up for sale every once in a
>> while. I've been very happy since getting mine.
>
> All our cars originally came with one of the QR clamps on the AC end
> of the input bellows. The body end was always a screw tightened
> version.

Are you sure about that? I've heard it was a '66 and later thing, but I couldn't find any good evidence of it. I've been entirely unable to find evidence of that being the case for '65. All the pictures in my official (not Bentley reprint) workshop manuals and all the pictures in owners manuals show two screw clamps. The part number is 311 129 699B, which suggests there was a time when only the earlier (presumably screw style) was used. Otherwise they would've given them unique component numbers, not just different letter modifiers. At some point it seems they stopped caring about the screw style clamps as replacement parts, since my 1971 parts book calls out for two of the quick release clamps and doesn't have the screw style listed at all.

Soren