[T3] 72 Air cleaner to body

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Apr 18 08:03:38 PDT 2013

On 18 Apr 2013 at 8:59, Soren Jacobsen wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2013, at 4:03 PM, "Jim Adney" <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:
>
> > On 16 Apr 2013 at 14:37, Soren Jacobsen wrote:
> >
> >> Another option is to get a set (or just one) of the stock quick
> >> release clamps. They make air cleaner removal easy but still let you
> >> keep a clamp on both sides. I haven't been able to figure out when
> >> they were used originally, but they come up for sale every once in a
> >> while. I've been very happy since getting mine.
> >
> > All our cars originally came with one of the QR clamps on the AC end
> > of the input bellows. The body end was always a screw tightened
> > version.
>
> Are you sure about that? I've heard it was a '66 and later thing, but
> I couldn't find any good evidence of it. I've been entirely unable to
> find evidence of that being the case for '65. All the pictures in my
> official (not Bentley reprint) workshop manuals and all the pictures
> in owners manuals show two screw clamps. The part number is 311 129
> 699B, which suggests there was a time when only the earlier
> (presumably screw style) was used. Otherwise they would've given them
> unique component numbers, not just different letter modifiers. At some
> point it seems they stopped caring about the screw style clamps as
> replacement parts, since my 1971 parts book calls out for two of the
> quick release clamps and doesn't have the screw style listed at all.

Well, I WAS sure, but now I'm not so sure....  ;-)

My direct experience is mostly with '68-73, the FI years. For those
years I AM sure that there was 1 QR and 1 screw type. I'd never
noticed that only the QR style was shown in the later parts lists.
That was probably a cheaper part, because it consisted simply of a
bent up strip of plated steel.

I'm pretty sure I can dig up a screw clamp and the oval steel tube,
but the tubes themselves came in at least 2 lengths, and with and
without the air control flap. I don't think I have any with the air
control flap, which would have been a dual carb version.

Which parts are you looking for?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org