[T3] size and pitch of rear brake drum bolts

Soren Jacobsen snj at pobox.com
Thu Apr 18 07:19:42 PDT 2013

On Apr 9, 2013, at 9:28 AM, "Jim Adney" <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

> Hmmm, right. I never noticed that before. Looks like no one showed
> the draftsman one of the bolts, or perhaps the first few cars,
> starting in '66, actually got hex heads, but then they were
> superceeded by the button heads with no change in the drawing.
>
> The button heads certainly LOOK nice, but they're a pain to deal
> with. For a part that's almost never visible, I'm surprised that VW
> bothered with the special bolt. It must have been one engineer's
> special "baby."

I wonder if maybe this is just a case of cheapness on VW's part? If you dig in a bit, you'll see that the screws they used bear the part number of the screws for early (and all Notchback -- now there's a mystery) 3-bolt door hinges. Maybe they had gazillions of them sitting around, or maybe they simply didn't have anything else that would fit. Who knows.

In any case, early T3 owners rejoice, you can steal a screw from a 4-bolt T3 drum when you strip a screw getting your doors off!

Soren