[T3] Front beam is loose revisited (finally)

Chris Slaymaker nurofiz at knology.net
Sun Apr 21 14:38:59 PDT 2013

I put this off for sooooo long.  I'm ashamed of myself.

I had inquired long ago (November of last year) about some wobbly-ness in the front end - brought on sometimes by going over a bump just right.

In March of this year, Jim Adney posted a  procedure (for someone else) regarding stabilizer bar R & R.

The Bentley manual has a procedure wherein the trailing arms are removed from the steering knuckle.  I wasn't sure I wanted to go that route (undoing the ball joints.

Jim's procedure was quite simple - removing the trailing arm's grasp on upper stabilizer bar and then driving it out the left side.

The grub screw on the left side is an 8 mm allen head cap screw with a 19 mm bolt for cinching it down.  The set screw on the right uses a 15mm wrench to remove (once the lock bolt is loosened).  The adjusting screw (that goes into the end of the stabilizer bar in an axial fashion) is, I believe, removed by a 14 mm wrench (I already forgot).  I shoulda taken pictures.  Everything came out fairly easily.

The left sided screw was full of grease/dirt, so that I did not realize the an 8 mm allen wrench would go in there.  I removed it with a 19 mm socket wrench on the locknut.  It turns out that it was not even in the land that it was supposed to go into.  It was tightened down onto the tip end of the stabilizer bar (based on wear patterns noted there).

I cleaned everything up, put it all back, tightened it down, and pumped some fresh grease in there.

Easy fix.  Thanks Jim!

Chris Slaymaker
1971 Westfalia "Lurch"
1971 Squareback "Foster"