[T3] cylinder head breather ports on a 1972 Squareback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Aug 4 15:34:10 PDT 2013

On 4 Aug 2013 at 18:19, Dave Hall wrote:

> My '72 FI has the heads without breathers but it has the two caps on the
> breather box.  We didn't get the recirculation valve though in the UK, so it
> may depend on what he's allowed to leave off as far as the desmogging law
> permits.

That sounds odd, because the microfilm shows all cars getting the
breather heads starting in '72. Are you sure those heads didn't get
"lost" in an early valve job?

Look at the cooling tin. The tin that came on those engines had holes
and rubber grommets where the hoses leading to the breather tubes
would have gone: just to the rear of #2 injector and in front of the
#3 injector.

Your '72 is carbed, isn't it? I don't know where the hose from the
breather box went on those engines. The microfilm shows that you got
the late breather box, but that the PCV valve was only for FI
engines. I didn't know that. But the microfilm doesn't show an
alternative part for the carbed engines. There HAS to be something.
Otherwise the breather box just has an open hole on the underside;
there's no way to connect a hose to that.

What's in there and where does it send the breather gases?

This is looking like some errors in the parts list.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org