[T3] cylinder head breather ports on a 1972 Squareback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Aug 4 19:42:30 PDT 2013

On 4 Aug 2013 at 16:11, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> Your response makes me wonder if I have an early style breather box.  My
> breather box has only a single, plastic plug on the bottom.  Are the '72
> breather boxes supposed to have 2 plugs?  The only part number I can see on
> it (actually on the metal piece) is 311 101 165B.

If your breather box has only one plastic plug and has a metal tube
extending down from it to the oil filler pipe, then it is the '68-71
version. That version doesn't use the heads with the vents. In that
case, plugging the extra air filter ports is definitely the right
thing to do. (If you don't plug them, those open holes will allow
unfiltered air to get sucked into the engine.)

Sounds like you may have an earlier engine. What's the engine number?

That part # is probably on the breather stand. I think it's the same
for all years.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org