[T3] Intake manifold seals

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Aug 4 19:42:30 PDT 2013

On 4 Aug 2013 at 16:20, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> I know that my 4 intake manifold seals are bad and in need of replacement.
> I have been "getting by" by turning them and manipulating them just so
> until I can tell there is no leak, but once they get disturbed, it is
> getting harder and harder to get a good seal.

Start by sliding each tube back onto the air runner, then loosen all
the bolts that hold both air runners and the IAD. Move things around
until you get the best alignment of all the tubes. Tighten all the
bolts. Then bend the air runner tubes to make the alignment of each
one perfect. They only take a medium amount of force to bend.

Then slide the tube seals back in place. If the tubes are distorted
so much that they won't seal now, tighten nylon cable ties around any
joint that leaks. In a couple years you may be able to remove the
cable ties.

Don't use hose clamps. They are too tight, will tear up the tubes,
and will not allow things to slide as the engine expands and
contracts with temp changes.

> Are there readily available and acceptable replacements?

Probably. I think Bob has made some, and I may have some good used
ones. With proper assembly, which is very seldom done, they are never
needed.

> Is this a job I can do with the engine in the car?

Yes.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org