[T3] oo oo that smell

Chris Sheridan cscsheridan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 10:28:28 PDT 2013

Those 2 screws were rubbing against the rear face of the fan, so
you'll need to inspect the fan to see if it's okay. If the metal is
worn thru more than half way, you'll want to find a better fan.

There were a couple of vanes that were slightly bent and I straightened them

>Run the HeliCoil tap in by hand. You'll want to set the insert below
the surface of the case, so that it gets into good sound material.
Unless you really know what you're doing, don't drill the hole
deeper. If you drill too far the one on the left will break thru to
the outside (no harm) but the one on the right will break into the
inside of the case (oil leak.) I measured a case here and found the
holes to be ~17.5 mm deep. That's plenty deep enough for a standard
Helicoil.

I bought the helicoil kit that was available at my local FLAPS. it came with

threads that were 7 threads long. I tapped the right crank side bolt and the

left side breather pedestal. the other two would not accept a tap, and
appearred to have helicoils already inside them

BTW, Helicoil inserts are made in lengths which are multiples of the

bolt diameter. 1.5x is the default. You can also get locking inserts
which have a deformed thread in the middle. The 17 mm depth would be
enough to install 2x inserts. The longer inserts have 2 sets of
deformed threads. I need to get some of those.

My Kit only had the one size with 7 threads per insert. they had a
bent one on the inside that I pounded out with a punch after they were
inserted. I used loctite on both the threads and the bolts

There are 3 tapped holes in the breather stand. The 2 lower ones are
M6 x 1, the same as the ones in the case. The upper one is M8 x 1.25
and is the most important one. It should already have a Helicoil
insert in it, so I doubt if that one is damaged. If it is, get a
better stand, or get the insert replaced.

Get longer screws to replace all 4 M6s. They need to be long enough
to get all the way thru the threads, Helicoiled or not. If the screws
you can buy are too long, shorten them as necessary, or add washers
under the screw heads.

I had 16mm or 20mm as the choices available to me. I went with 16mm.

> Other question; do I absolutely need the flaps or can I remove them
> with no major effect on anything? I'm in california and I have
> aftermarket muffler with j-pipes and all my heat has been ripped out
> anyway.

Yes, you absolutely, positively want the flaps and thermostat if you
have any intention of this engine having a reasonably long life. This
system is what gets the engine to warm up its designed operating
temperature quickly. You don't want to spend a lot of time in warmup,
because that's when most of the wear occurs. VWs sold to Africa still
came with the flaps and thermostats.

Thats too bad I had to make the decision last night I ended up
removing them removed them because the circlip holding the shaft broke
and I couldn't get the spring to hook in. Now I'll have to disassemble
the whole thing again tonight and try to reconstruct them.

>I've never had much luck getting rusted steel studs out of aluminum.
>Everything tends to corrode together in a way that just doesn't seem
>to respond to any of the standard techniques for getting rusted steel
>parts apart. I think you're likely to break the stud before it will
>come out.

The PB Blaster Penetrant worked like a charm and I was able to double
nut both bolts and back them out and replace them with longer ones.

Personally, I think the alternator conversion, although tempting,
really isn't worth it. It may seem cool to be able to say you've done
it, but the generator system does everything the car needs. In your
case, I'd say you have enough problems without inviting others.

I'm interested in the conversion because I've had nothing but
headaches with the generator - too heavy, too expensive, no real way
to tighten the pulley nut effectively, now this latest issue with it
reversing polarity. I've gone through 3 or 4 generators in the last 6
years. Really a PITA.