[T3] Bowden tube boot differences

Soren Jacobsen snj at blef.org
Fri Aug 9 18:12:37 PDT 2013

On Aug 9, 2013, at 1:48 PM, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

> On 9 Aug 2013 at 10:08, Soren Jacobsen wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but it looks to me like VW
>> switched, in 1968, from an effective bowden tube boot to a nearly
>> worthless one.  I'm referring to the boot that goes on the rearward
>> (rear is rear) tip of the bowden tube where the clutch cable exits.
>>
>> Here's the 1968-on style: http://images.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/3651357.jpg
>> Here's the earlier style: http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/o42db.t5sus/v/vspfiles/photos/VWC-111-721-365-3.jpg
>
> The style you're calling "later" is actually the boot for the FRONT
> end of the Bowden housing. The one you're calling "earlier" is the
> one for the rear. AFAIK, both of those were used, without change, for
> all years.

The front, you say?  Interesting.  I'm assuming the slimmer, lipped side goes forward and hooks into the frame?  My parts book (updated through December 1969) shows very clearly that one is for early cars and one is for late.  It also shows them both positioned at the rear end of the bowden tube.  The only forward grommet they show for a control cable is the one that goes in front of the accelerator cable sleeve on 68-up cars (#74 in the image below).

Illustration here: http://blef.org/vw/t3/partsbook/bowdenillustration.jpg
Numbers/application here: http://blef.org/vw/t3/partsbook/bowdennumbers.png

Of course, as we know, the parts books can't always be trusted.  Sadly, my copy of Progressive Refinements only goes through '67.  It would certainly make more sense if the "early" boot were used on all years of car at the rear of the bowden tube.  Perhaps the front boot didn't come into play until '68, and someone updating the parts book got confused and incorrectly assumed it was replacing the old boot.  Comparing a 68 chassis to an earlier one, at the rearward clutch cable exit, might reveal some change made to accommodate a new boot.  I've got access to a 65 and a 68; I'll try to look into it tomorrow.

Soren

P.S. Does anyone have a copy of Progressive Refinements that goes beyond '67?