[T3] Rear Bearings ?

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 15 16:35:00 PDT 2013

Following up on previous msgs about rear wheel squawking noise...a noise that happens each tire revolution.

-  It doesn't happen when car is lifted and wheel just spun around.
-  Brake assembly was all as it should...maybe just a little slack in adjustment, but brake shoe pads were ok. All springs intact, etc.

-  Put max grease in the axle boots...drove it around a little...no change in the regular squawks...which get louder as car slows down.
-  I didn't just turn the axle shaft around, I replaced it with a spare, kept wrapped in plastic. Greased it up and greased the boots.   No change at all.  Still the squawk.

N.B.  Right side axle shaft is about an inch shorter than the one on the left. I wasted good grease not knowing this ahead of time.
N.B. II:  Good idea to lightly hammer tap the 12 point star wrench into the holes to remove the shaft before trying to crank them off.  Same thing when tightening them up.

I thought that the wheel bearing was ok because spinning the tire caused no sound. BUT...can there be bearing troubles that are only evident when the thing is On the Ground, under weight?

I'll try to get the 36 mm nut off the axle end...even if I have to use a sledge hammer and a dull chisel...to see the bearing, tomorrow....and take out the bearing.  Would a bad bearing LOOK bad somehow?
I have spare rear wheel bearings, kept in nice zip-lock bags. I'll replace the current one no matter what.

Any other thoughts about this? There's only so many places where such a squawk can originate.

PS:  Transmission fluid is at, and has been at proper level...just at slight drip bottom of filler plug hole.