[T3] Rear bearings ?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Aug 11 09:50:17 PDT 2013

On 10 Aug 2013 at 11:40, J. Jonik wrote:

> Re/  71 Std FI Sqbk
>
>  While driving, out of the blue came a fairly loudish
> scraping-grinding noise, from a rear wheel area.  It didn't change
> when braking.   Coming home later, the noise wasn't there...but it
> returned the next day. It wasn't as loud as when it first started.

The most likely cause would be some rust rubbing between the brake
drum and the brake backing plate. That would tend to sound somewhat
"tinny," however, so that may not be your problem. Just taking the
drum off sometimes gets rid of this problem, but you should also look
for spots that have been rubbing around the outer lip, where the
backing plate inserts into that groove in the drum. Also, check to
make sure the springs that hold the 2 shoes against the backing
plates are still there; they sometimes fall off and get ground up by
the brakes.

The next thing to suspect would be a CV joint. You have axle shafts
there, not tubes, and those should slide back and forth without
feeling gritty. Like Bob said, make sure the bolts haven't come
loose. Then check the 2 rubber boots; if those are torn, the CV
joints are even more suspect, because that lets the grease out and
the dirt in. If you jack up that wheel, you should be able to turn
the wheel while you watch from below, for backlash in the CV joints.
Any backlash you feel should be minimal, and you should not be able
to see any at all. A little backlash in the tranny is normal.

Rear wheel bearings seldom go bad, but anything's possible. Just
getting in there is a really big job, so make sure that's the problem
before you start. The Bentley tells yo to take the diagonal arm off
to do this job, but I'd do it on the car. I have parts if you need
them.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org