[T3] flaps

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Aug 17 09:14:26 PDT 2013

On 16 Aug 2013 at 23:08, Chris Sheridan wrote:

> I let it cool down for an hour or so and examined the engine. I noticed
> that the underside of the rubber bellows was detached from the body and
> curled inwards, allowing exhaust to enter the cooling stream. Fingers
> crossed thats all it was. I reattached it as best I was able - a
> combination of a smaller reproduction bellows and old tired clamps make a
> tough fit. I got it back on and put some white out on the rod and the case
> near the distributor and warmed the car up, hoping to be able to see the
> rod eventually turn. I looked at the thermostat with a flashlight and it
> appeared to have expanded after a couple of test rides and leaving it
> running, but I didn't see the white out marks move at all so it seemed like
> the rod didn't turn, although I couldn't be sure. I'm going to try again
> tomorrow with the trick you mentioned of using a wire through the spark
> plug clamp hole.

The first thing you should to is to inspect the thermostat bellows
when the engine is cold, to make SURE that it has not already failed
and expanded. There should be ~1 cm of space between the top of the
bellows and the bracket above it. If it's already pressing against
the top of the bracket when cold, it has failed and it has nowhere to
go as the engine warms up.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org