[T3] Huf Ignition Key & Cylinder

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Aug 17 11:42:38 PDT 2013

On 17 Aug 2013 at 12:26, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> I've got a spare ignition cylinder with Huf key ... "K" grooves.
> The chrome on the cylinder is in good condition but the chrome on the key
> is quite worn.

Gary,

Chrome plating really isn't anything you can do at home.

Some '69 cars came with the locking steering wheel and some didn't.

Yes, there's a spring return, AND an interlock to keep you from going
from RUN to START twice in a row. (To keep you from running the
starter into an already running engine.) I think these are pretty
hard to repair; they are made of pot metal, and once something breaks
there's not much you can do about it. Plus they are staked together,
so they are hard to get apart in such a way that they can be put back
together successfully.

There are people out there who can cut you a replacement key from OE
blanks for very reasonable prices, much less than what you'd spend
trying to go thru the process you suggest.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org