[T3] Huf Ignition Key & Cylinder

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 10:26:08 PDT 2013

I've got a spare ignition cylinder with Huf key ... "K" grooves.
The chrome on the cylinder is in good condition but the chrome on the key
is quite worn.

Questions:
1)  Has anybody stripped the chrome from a small part ... like a key?
2)  What solution is safe to use?
3)  Does the solution removes the chrome but leaves the base metal of the
key in good condition?
4)  Can quality re-chroming be done at home?  Level of difficulty?

Regarding the cylinder ...
1) Should there be 4 positions?
          A)  Off .... in a steering wheel locked position?
          B)  Off .... in a steering wheel UN-locked position?
          C)  On .... in the RUN position?
          D)  On/Start ... spring-loaded to return to "C"?
Is there an internal spring (START) when turned clockwise and then returns
to the RUN position?
If the spring is broken (or detached), can the cylinder be disassembled?
 Fixed?  Reassembled?

If I can't repair the cylinder, I want to
1)  strip the chrome
2)  weld/fill the notches back to a blank
3)  machine the grooves into a "K" configuration
4)  have the key re-cut to fit my "K" ignition/door/rear hatch locks.

Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)
Lake Geneva, WI (summer)