[T3] Dieseling (run-on) again

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Aug 24 22:18:33 PDT 2013

On 24 Aug 2013 at 20:42, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> I know that FI cars should not have a run-on issue, and I believe I posted
> about this issue with my 1972 FI Square before.  I am having the issue
> again and it seems to happen most frequently after a long drive on warm
> days.
>
> After doing a bit of searching, I came across somebody else (either on this
> list or on samba) that was having a similar issue with their 1972 FI Square
> and they replaced either their Fuel Pump Relay or their main FI relay and
> the problem went away.  It was unclear from the post which one.

If the main power relay was sticking that might cause run-on, but I'd
suspect a mis-wiring problem just as much.

When you turn the key ON, you should hear a click and a second click
about 1 second later. If you reach under the dash and feel the fuel
pump relay, you should feel both of these clicks.

If you turn the key ON and then OFF right away you should hear and
the feel the second click as soon as the key goes OFF. If there's a
delay, that's the main power relay sticking.

For the record, I can imagine that one of these relays could stick,
but I've never seen it happen.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org