[T3] Tie Rod Removal...

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 22 17:01:06 PDT 2013

Too shaky tie rod on left side is easy to get to by just taking the tire off.   And the tie rod end at the wheel end can be relatively easy to tap out (with a nut protecting the threads) with a hammer.

But, the rod end on the inside, attached at the steering linkage metal, doesn't want to come out of its hole.  There isn't enough room to give it a good whack with a hammer.   It's that end that's worn and wobbly.

Is this generally a case where one has to take out the gas tank to do the deed?  You don't want to use heat with it all being just inches below the gas tank.
 Are there tricks to do this without removing the gas tank?

My tank is, unfortunately, filled to the top.
If there's some expensive special puller tool...well...I'll try to borrow one, or wait til the gas tank gets more manageable.

The Bentley makes it look like changing a light bulb...but it ain't.