[T3] Items to keep on hand in a 72 FI Squareback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Dec 11 22:10:58 PST 2013

On 11 Dec 2013 at 21:13, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> Also, this is what I currently carry with me:
> Flathead screwdriver
> Phillips screwdriver
> 13 mm wrench
> 10 mm wrench
> Generator belt
> 1 quart of oil
> brake fluid
> Wrench for wheel lugnuts

The tools are reasonable, but I wouldn't bother with the brake fluid.
If you need brake fluid, it either means that you haven't looked at
your reservoir in the past year, or you have serious problems that
extra fluid won't cure.

> Things I do not carry, but am curious whether anybody does:
> extinguisher
> spare fuel hose
> spare points/condenser (yes, I know I use Pertronix)
> spare spark plug wires
> clutch cable
> small can of gasoline
> ???

Spare fuel hose might be useful. There have been times I wished I had
some, but you'll also need the tools to cut and install it. Points
wear out too slowly to give problems, and I've never seen or heard of
a bad Bosch condensor. A clutch cable is a possibility, but they are
a lot more trouble to replace than most people will want to do at the
side of the road, and they usually give warning before they break.
You'll also need more tools to do that job.

Spark plug wires don't wear out, but the Bosch resistor end
connectors sometimes fail.

Carrying gasoline is a hazard, but carrying an empty can might
certainly come in handy.

Fire extinguisher? Well, I don't carry one, but maybe....

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org